If you have a laundry room in your home, it’s likely that the space is small and limited. The best way to maximize this space is by building a platform for washer and dryer that will sit on top of your existing cabinets. This will keep your floor clear while allowing more storage underneath. Follow these steps to learn how to build a platform for washer and dryer:
How to build a platform for washer and dryer
Building a platform for your washer and dryer is a great way to make your laundry room more functional and convenient. A custom platform will give you extra storage space for those items that tend to clutter up the floor, such as detergent bottles, fabric softener sheets and other laundry supplies. It will also keep the washer and dryer off the ground so they can be accessed easily without having to bend over or strain yourself.
When planning how to build a platform for washer and dryer there are many different options available depending on your budget, time frame and skillset. You may decide on building one yourself using wood or plywood materials or hire someone else who specializes in carpentry projects like this one. Either way there are some basic things you’ll need before starting work: hammer saw drill screwdriver level tape measure
Measure the dimensions of your washer and dryer.
The first step to building a platform for your washer and dryer is measuring the dimensions of your washer and dryer. Measure the height, width and depth of your washer and dryer so you know exactly how much space you need for your platform.
Once you’ve measured these dimensions, use them to determine where to place the four legs of the platform frame. Each leg should be placed near one corner of each appliance with an equal distance between them (about 18 inches).
Purchase lumber to make a frame.
Next, you need to purchase the lumber for your new platform. This can be done at a local home improvement store or hardware store. When shopping for lumber, it’s important to keep in mind that there are many different types of wood and lumber sizes available. Lumber is sold in different dimensions and thicknesses, as well as lengths and widths. The most common types of wood used include:
Cut the pieces of the frame to size.
- Measure the dimensions of your washer and dryer.
- Cut the lumber to size using a miter saw or handsaw, with care.
- Check that each piece is square by measuring diagonals from corner to corner. If either diagonal measurement is longer than the other, adjust your cut so that both sides of each piece are equal in length.
- Level one end of each piece—either by shimming under it or using an adjustable level—and check for plumbness at both ends. Use a plumb bob to check for plumbness (the weight should hang straight down). Also check for level along the top edge of each piece (if necessary).
Assemble the frame of your platform.
The frame is the base of your platform. It will hold up the washer and dryer, as well as any other appliances that you may choose to place on it. When building a platform for a washer and dryer, it’s important to consider how much space you have in your laundry room and whether or not you’re going to be able to take advantage of every inch of that space when it comes time to wash clothes or dry them out.
You can assemble your platform by using one of several methods:
- A drill
- Screws (preferably with an electric drill)
Stain your platform, or use wood conditioner if you’re going to paint it.
If you’re planning to paint your platform, apply wood conditioner or primer before applying a coat of paint. This will help the finish last longer and be more durable.
For stain, you’ll want to use either a light shade if you plan on painting or a dark shade if you’re leaving it unstained. For example, if the wood is going in an area with direct sunlight and heat then consider using an oak color stain which could potentially help prevent fading due to sun exposure over time.
Attach the feet to the frame using strong glue.
As you’re building your platform, you’ll need to attach the feet to the frame. Before doing this, however, make sure that your frame is level and that you have clamped together any parts of it where there are gaps in order to make sure they are as tight as possible.
Once you’ve done this, use a strong glue such as epoxy or Gorilla Glue (which is waterproof) to hold the feet in place. Make sure that the pieces stay together for about an hour so that they can dry properly before moving them into position!
Allow it to dry overnight before moving it into position.
Allow the glue to dry overnight before moving it into position.
The first thing you’ll notice when you unpack your newly-assembled washer and dryer is that they’re very heavy. This makes them a bit tricky to handle, and rushing this process could result in an accident that does more damage than good. Instead: give yourself enough time!
Place the washer and dryer on top of the frame.
Place the washer and dryer on top of the frame.
- Make sure that your dimensions are correct. You don’t want the washer or dryer to be too high, or too low.
- Make sure you have proper tools for building this platform! You’ll need a hammer, nails or screws, and some wood glue as well as clamps or another way of keeping things stuck together while they dry. You may also need a saw depending on how much cutting you need to do with your materials (or if you don’t feel comfortable cutting).
- Make sure that all of your materials are in good shape before starting this project! You’ll want boards without any splinters or holes in them; screws without rust; etcetera etcetera…
Learn how to build a platform for washer and dryer that fits your space and storage needs!
You want to build a platform for the washer and dryer that fits your space and storage needs. The most important thing is to make sure that it is level, strong enough to support the washer and dryer, large enough to fit them both, and sturdy enough to support their weight.
We hope you’re inspired to build your own platform for washer and dryer. It’s a great way to save floor space while still having everything you need within reach. If you have any questions about the process or would like help with a project, please contact us at [email protected]